Welcome to Harmony Farm
and the Dancing Lady Dragonfly Labyrinth Temple
As above, so below
Google Earth coordinates: 39º06'16.89"N x 90º18'36.25"W
Harmony Farm and I invite you to explore this ancient sea- bed where I have worked with the land to build multiple sacred spaces to honor the ancestors who came before us, and those who follow in our footsteps. These spaces also honor unseen energies and inhabitants of this land. I invite you to open your mind and heart, observing your experience without judgment. Open your imagination and creativity to collaborate with this special place to find your deepest darkness, your brightest light, your inner child or all of these aspects combined and in balance.
Medicine Wheels are spaces created for offering prayers and listening to the land and All Relations (animals, birds, plants, insects and the elements). The Harmony Medicine Wheel in the woods honors the Divine Feminine, and the Dancing Lady Dragonfly Labyrinth Temple honors the Divine Masculine. Both spaces are balanced in each energy, but the feminine prevails in the damp wooded area, while the masculine leads on the high prairie. A dual spirit medicine wheel also honors the balance between both polarities of energy.
Harmony Medicine Wheel
Dancing Lady Dragonfly Labyrinth Temple
Heal with the land by walking paths created in forms that facilitate flow, balance and harmony.
Dual Spirit Standing Stone Medicine Wheel
Dual Spirit Medicine WheelDual Spirit Medicine Wheel (only available for use by hosted workshops)
Fairie Spiral (new in 2018)
Mission: Creating healing balance between masculine and feminine, and cultivating harmony with the land through presence and sound.
Collaborate with the energies of All Relations
Walking the labyrinth
A maze confuses, confounds, and disorients, while a labyrinth centers, focuses, and grounds, cultivating cohesion through inner and outer harmony. Walking in combination with the dual lemniscates (“infinity signs”) of the Dragonfly, increases balance, focus and well-being.
Simply follow your instinct when deciding in what order to walk. A labyrinth is walked in a single direction only. By following “the path” it will lead you to the center, just like your life walk! You may choose to “leave something behind” (an old thought form or pattern) on the walk inward, to open up space for something new in your life on the walk back out. Whatever mind and heart-space you choose, the labyrinth supports your journey towards your center, and your truer self.
A new path straight in and out of the center allows you to walk it in, and leave your energy open to the labyrinth by waking the direct path out. You can close your energy to the labyrinth by tracing it with you finger from any place, or imagine yourself walking out in your inner mind.
It is simple: your presence is your prayer. Any added intention amplifies that prayer.
A little about the Temple construction. The labyrinth is a seven circuit triune design (eight circles divided into 3rds). It is part of a temple complex of three lemniscates (infinity signs, or eights). The lemniscate as a walking path is powerful. It leads you in both clockwise and conter-clockwise circles, and you pass through the center line three times, twice at the outer edges, and once where everything converges in the middle. This is highly symbolic for me. Three is a similar alphanumeric character to eight, but with openness on the left (feminine) side. It also represents the trinity of body, mind and spirit. The number three, for me, always symbolizes infinity, but with a little room for more! I believe in this time of shift that we are moving from the number seven, to the number eight as a representation of balance between masculine and feminine energies. I learned seven directions from native cosmology (four cardinal directions, with sky, earth and inner directions). To this, I add an 8th directions, which I call "The Ancestors" to bring in time as a direction, which also has triune division: past present and future. Eight, to me, represents balance around our centered point of "here and now."
I did not "design" this temple as you can see it today from Google Earth. I simply "followed the instructions" given in inner visions. The first one was shortly after I bought the property. Sitting in meditation, I was shown a giant infinity sign in the field, and was asked to walk it with my eyes closed. It took a while to figure out where/how to orient it. One day when I went to that field, there were two bare patches at what is now the center of each lobe of the small lemniscate oriented (sort of...) north/south. That became the centerstone for the whole thing. Next, in the intersection of that lemniscate came the freestanding nine rib hedge lodge. There are 8 ribs (one marking the east gate, two marking the west gate, with three in the masculine south, and 2 in the feminine north direction). These eight rest on a 9th "feminine" curvy pole which anchors the east gate into the lodge. None of this geometry and numerology was thought about consciously. It only became apparent after the lodge was done. In fact, my brain wanted there to be 13 ribs, for the Ancestors, but nine felt complete, and in trying to understand why, the perfection of the eight plus one ribs became evident.
I waited two years to make the big lemniscate in order to make sure it was aligned with the Winter Solstice Sunrise in the east, and the Summer Solstice Sunset in the West. Once I found that line, I laid out the 500 foot lemniscate. From there I added the labyrinth in the eastern lobe, and the western "leg," and DNA tail which inadvertently made it look like a dragonfly. It was only in the summer of 2014 when my nephew flew over and took a photo, that I saw the dragonfly! The labyrinth was forged in the spring of 2015, and that was the first year I saw the whole design from Google Earth. The "dancing lady" part came last, with a head, neck and tentacle, complete with a yoni in the west of the large lemniscate lobe. By Spring, 2016, all of the design elements were visible from Google Earth. You can see it on Google Earth at coordinates: 39°06'14.30"N and 95°18'32.09"W
The purpose of this temple is simple: to honor the ancestors who have gone before and will come after me, and to acknowledge the unseen energies of the land (the elementals: fairies, gnomes, elves, and the other-dimensional beings, off-planet visitors and higher/lower frequency residents, whom I cannot perceive physically, etc.). The paths are mowed, and in the spring of 2018, I added many stones to the labyrinth to articulate various geometries, some that I understand, and others that just presented themselves. Eventually I will have all the paths lined with stones from the property. I honor all that is present here, and encourage you to take time and listen for those willing to speak to you when you are listening!
(graphic by Nathan Bartel)
Enter a portal to your new self!
Harmony Medicine Wheel is the seat of the Divine Feminine. Following the path through the gateway into the woods will take you to her. This space is a one way portal for spirits to exit into their next step of evolution. Enter the wheel through the east and walk the spiral path (clockwise) to open your energy to your full experience. She can help you let go of anything that no longer serves! Walking out counterclockwise closes your energy to the portal leaving a clear parting with what you have left behind. Completion results.
From there, a walking path follows the creek up to the prairie and the Dancing Lady Dragonfly Temple and Labyrinth (a wider driving track leads there too, but can be quite muddy when wet). Take what time you need to commune with the potent and fertile woods!
First Nations People teach us how to learn from plants, animals and even the elements through intentional observation. I invite you to observe and contemplate all you encounter! There are untold and unique lessons for each visitor here. And as you walk this land, you may see signs of those who went before us, living in harmony with Mother Earth.
The Osage Creation Story
The Osage Indians reigned for centuries in this central part of what is now the United States. They were tall and strong people. Their creation story resonated deeply with me when I read it, and I have found evidence of this story on the land.
“When the Children of the Middle Waters, who in their humility called themselves the Little Ones, came down from the stars, they floated down into the red oak tree, and as they alighted they loosened acorns which clattered down among the leaves, bouncing from the limbs and branches. They must have come down singly or in small groups, with the People of the Waters leading. They floated down from the sky with their legs outstretched to the tree tops, and their arms up like the winds of an alighted eagle, since it is this great bird’s landing which they later imitated in the creation dances.”
Mathews, John Joseph. The Osages: Children of the Middle Waters. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press, 1961, p. 10
“Moonlove,” taken at Harmony Farm, October 31, 2014
One of the many Osage Star People descended into a red oak!
Harmonize with all relations
Your visit is a gift to both yourself and the land. Please enjoy the vision and intention of this sacred place, and be here in peace and harmony. Consider giving back in equal measure whenever you receive something in life. It takes much to maintain this place, and I appreciate your assistance in my stewardship of this installation.
Dragonfly Labyrinth will be available to the public so long as good and kind people act responsibly. Please text or call before coming to make sure the space is open. I wish I could hang out on the land with everyone that requests it. However, there are simply too many requests, so I offer first time guided walks for $100 donation. This is a good way for you to orient to the land, and harmonize with the intentions of my work here.
Harmony Farm is a place untamed in many ways. The following information is for your safety and well-being, and the well-being of this land.
Liability Release (Self-Responsibility Pledge)
1. By your presence on this property you agree and hereby release from liability, and to indemnify and hold harmless, the property owners for any and all personal injuries and property losses or damages to your person or property occasioned by, or in connection with your visit here.
2. The owners reserve the right to withdraw such permission to be present on this land to any person, at any time, for any reason.
3. All visitors are to obey any rules or guidelines, posted, online or physically, or voiced by the owners. This includes confining one’s visit to the labyrinth and adjacent areas, and to honor the privacy of owner's home and off-limits areas of the property.
4. Visitors shall be responsible for any damage to property that they might inflict.
5. A separate waiver of liability must be signed for extended stays on the land.
Warnings/Recommendations (Common Understandings)
• Bees, ticks, mosquitos, chiggers, and other insects may be present in large and small numbers. If you are allergic proceed at your own risk and with caution. Your wellbeing is your responsibility.
• Sun. The average walk to, and in the labyrinth can take a minimum of 1 hour. Please protect yourself accordingly.
• Physical Exertion. The labyrinth walk, from beginning to center and back out again, is over a mile and half with some steep terrain that can be muddy after rain. This length, combined with sun, heat, cold, lightning, and other weather factors, requires a level of physical fitness. Please honor your limits and take proper precautions or come with necessary assistants. Every attempt is made to keep the main path to the labyrinth well maintained, especially during summer months. However, due to excessive rainfall, wind, or other natural weather, you may need to negotiate obstacles or blockages.
• Wear proper footgear. The woods and prairie grass are not manicured. While the paths are maintained, the terrain can be uneven and muddy, slippery or hard. Bare feet and casual footwear is not recommended.
• Bring sufficient water. Currently, there is no potable public water source on site.
• Respect others present. A labyrinth is generally intended to be walked in a contemplative manner. Although absolute silence is not mandatory, please respect the presence and desires of occupants, neighbors, and fellow walkers. Should you arrive as someone is already walking in silence, please honor their experience, as you would in any other place of retreat.
• Children and their playful energy are welcome when accompanied by a parent, teacher or guardian who assumes full responsibility for their safety, respect, honoring the paths in the labyrinth, and the intention of this place. Children are a gift to the land, and it can be helpful if the parent/teacher/ guardian gives them an orientation to what this place offers, and helps guide them through it.
Courtesies when coming to visit
• Park only in the designated area inside the front gate to the right. Please do not drive up or block the driveway or disturb occupants. The house is off limits unless you are part of a retreat being held on sight. Enter through the basement door if you are part of a retreat.
• Please practice quiet, especially in the labyrinth.
• Please close any gates you have to open to pass through.
• Please walk only on mowed paths, and not in-between. As you pass others, coming or going, please squeeze by each other on paths without stepping on and squashing the plants.
• Please help keep the grounds clean and be responsible for all trash even picking up after those less responsible than you!
• Appropriate Offerings to the land may be left on altars in any of the Medicine Spaces.
• PLEASE NO FIRES ANYWHERE IN GRASSY AREAS AND BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IF BURNING SAGE
Reciprocation is one of the key elements of balance here. It takes a lot of time, energy, materials and money to maintain this space. When you partake of this place, please give something back by making a suggested donation of $20 in the box at the archway entrance to help with the expenses of caretaking. Offering songs, or other simple gifts in reverence to the land and Her spirits and energies is also a wonderful way to give back.
There are times when the land is closed. It is always best to text first to make sure there is not something going on here that might preclude you from walking the land.
Location: 20 minutes NW of Lawrence, Kansas
Feedback and Contact information:
14865 35th St., Perry, KS 66073
Private and Group Sound Meditations and Healing Sessions are available.
Call 785-813-3451 to schedule separately or in tandem with a labyrinth walk!
If you enjoy this place, please consider making a donation for the upkeep of these sacred space!